Well here I am on time this year. This time I have to start with personal highlights, one does not give birth in a year and still start with travel highlights.
- Cillian, the Son arrived in a hurry April 6 and made our lives a rollercoaster of emotions. I watch videos of him from when he was born and it is hard to absorb how much approx 9 months with him has changed our lives.
- Spending time with the Son and family and friends.
- Visits from family, especially Cillian’s grandparents as well as friends.
- Entering motherhood with a support group made of family and friends who always keep me in check with everything from food, necessities for the baby and more importantly company and moral support.
- Stuart, our Norfolk Pine Tree is doing better and made a pretty healthy comeback after a rough spring. I am not sure if it was jealousy for a new member of the family but in late spring he was rapidly going brown. We are doing better now.
- Ernie, the resident qumquat tree, had an excellent winter in 2017 but not a great summer and so far not a great winter. Fingers crossed his journey improves.
- First cottage trip with the Son to Haliburton.
- Trip to New Jersey to celebrate my cousin’s wedding.
- Trip to Maine with the Son and family.
- Trip to Nashville, Memphis.
- Canadian Opera Company and Toronto Symphony Orchestra subscriptions had us going to some beautiful performances early in the year.
While the highs of this year were as high as one would expect, the lows were there to remind me how precious every moment is. We started the year with a vacation cut short by Husband getting sick in the US of A, and then the year continued with us losing people dear to us. There are many things that help you understand life more rationality but then your heart reminds you of the emotions of it all. While I am relieved our family and friends are not suffering anymore, their presence is missed and I hope their energy is moving on to happier pastures.
The pain of losing them will fade, and their spirits will bring joy so time will help but 2018 will be the year my Son entered my life and filled my heart with more love than I thought possible. It has not been an easy journey to motherhood before nor after but the love that comes with it lights up my path going forward.
Thank you 2018!